B&SC Code: HUSS
CIP Code: 44.0000
Available online in all states except NY
The Human and Social Service degree program is designed for students interested in providing support, assistance, and guidance to the members of a community who need it most. This program provides a solid liberal arts background with a full range of human service courses designed to prepare students for entry-level careers in human service agencies, including community and social welfare agencies, mental health and social service agencies, community organizations, habilitation and rehabilitation agencies, day care centers and geriatric services. Students will gain the knowledge and experience to support human service professionals, such as social workers, case managers, and counselors, with the facilitation, administration, and development of treatment plans for community members in need.
Graduates of this degree will achieve the following program and institutional outcomes:
- Demonstrate an understanding of patient/client/customer service needs within the continuum of human and social service environments.
- Demonstrate ethical and legal communication techniques specific to the human and social services environments.
- Adapt essential communication skills to interact effectively with supervisors, peers and the public in various human and social settings.
- Analyze and apply contemporary knowledge and skill sets to perform diverse administrative responsibilities in human and social services.
- Support the assessment of client concerns and available resources to match support services to improve quality of life of the client/customer/patient.
- Utilize appropriate current technology and resources to locate and evaluate information needed to accomplish a goal, and then communicate findings in visual, written and/or oral formats.
- Transfer knowledge, skills and behaviors acquired through formal and informal learning and life experiences to new situations.
- Employ strategies for reflection on learning and practice in order to adjust learning processes for continual improvement.
- Follow established methods of inquiry and mathematical reasoning to form conclusions and make decisions.
- Participate in social, academic, and professional communities for individual growth and to function as a citizen of a multicultural world.