Official Catalog May 2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Medical Administrative Assistant, AAS
B&SC Code: MDAA
CIP Code: 51.0716
New York Hegis Code: 5005
Available online in all states
The Medical Administrative Assistant program prepares individuals for the patient-facing administrative positions in a variety of health care delivery systems including private medical practices, clinics, public health departments, insurance agencies, government agencies, or out- patient departments of hospitals. The students in this degree program will develop the knowledge, skills and behaviors for customer/patient services, scheduling, document production, transmitting electronic health records, and adhering to current medical office procedures. The medical administrative assistant performs an integral role in the healthcare setting, ensuring efficiency, effectiveness and compliance to policies and healthcare standards.
Graduates of this degree plan will achieve the following program and institutional outcomes:
- Ensure confidentiality and fulfill HIPAA standards for the creation, distribution, and release of medical information.
- Demonstrate professional interpersonal communications and support services resulting in high patient/customer/client satisfaction ratings.
- Evaluate office operations to recommend process changes for improving efficiency, efficacy, and/or flexibility.
- Utilize appropriate current technology and resources to locate and evaluate information needed to accomplish a goal, and then communicate findings in visual, written and/or oral formats.
- Transfer knowledge, skills and behaviors acquired through formal and informal learning and life experiences to new situations.
- Employ strategies for reflection on learning and practice in order to adjust learning processes for continual improvement.
- Follow established methods of inquiry and mathematical reasoning to form conclusions and make decisions.
- Participate in social, academic, and professional communities for individual growth and to function as a citizen of a multicultural world.